All children are taught in individual year groups. The curriculum is differentiated to meet the needs of all pupils and intervention is planned and taught where required to ensure all children make maximum progress.
A structured phonics programme, Letters and Sounds, is taught on a daily basis throughout the school. Booster lessons are also taught where appropriate.
We teach a creative curriculum where the skills and key objectives from the National Curriculum are taught in a way that is exciting, challenging and relevant. The Core subjects are English, Mathematics, Science, I.C.T. and R.E. The curriculum is enhanced with visitors into school and by school trips out of school.
The creative curriculum at Kempston Rural;
- Meets statutory requirements
- Offers breadth and balance in an appropriately stimulating manner encouraging a sense of wonder, curiosity and a desire to increase knowledge
- Develops literacy, numeracy and scientific skills
- Develops I.C.T. skills
- Develops an interest in historic, geographic and social aspects
- Differentiates to include all groups of pupils including those with special educational needs
- Encourages good habits regarding health and hygiene
- Ensures Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development
- Teaches British Values
Information about the topics being covered in class can be found in the 'Classes' link. Here you will be able to access your child's homework grid and topic booklet. You will also find some interesting photographs of work being enjoyed in school.
In Kempston Rural we teach phonics through the 'Sounds Write' programme in EYFS and KS1
Phonics is taught daily in a sequential order. All members of staff delivering the phonics programme are trained in delivery. Parents joining EYFS are given instruction on this in a parents evening.
Young children learn through play as well as from the more formal areas of the curriculum. The Early Years Foundation Stage of the curriculum is vital as it is here that the children have their first experience of school. It is our aim to make this experience a positive and exciting time for every child that enters Kempston Rural Primary School.